Saturday, March 10, 2007


As I circled one pyramid a local elementary school class noticed I had my camera out and a bunch of kids ran over to me to have their picture taken. I don’t think their teacher was very happy about it. I thought, “Kids are kids everywhere in the world.” While seeing the sights is great fun, meeting the people of Egypt is also a great experience.

Just left the Sphinx. It was pretty interesting, but the main impression on me was the crush of humanity trying to get through the bottle-neck entrance.

At the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities we saw many fascinating things. The treasures from the tomb of Tutankhamon (King Tut) were wonderful, but my favorite was the Egyptian stele with the word “Israel” on it. This stele (a huge stone tablet with Hieroglyphics) from the time of the Pharaoh Ramses II, thought by some scholars to be the ruler of Egypt at the time of the Exodus, is the oldest extra-biblical record confirming the existence of Israel in the ancient world of the Pharaohs.

Tomorrow we visit a couple of Coptic churches in Cairo and then follow the path of Moses and the Israelites to Sinai. It’s going to be an exciting day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JuliaG - It's only been a couple days and it looks like you two are having a great time. So glad you got to meet the kids. Did you turn the camera around and show them the pic? Please keep writing, really enjoying the tour. It ALMOST feels like Mark and I are with you... Have FUN!