Thursday, August 30, 2012

The "Why Me?" Question

Tim Keller begins his August 6, 2012 blog entry on the “why me?” question with: “When I was diagnosed with cancer, the question "Why me?" was a natural one. Later, when I survived but others with the same kind of cancer died, I also had to ask, "Why me?"” He goes on to offer what he calls 4 wrong answers to the “Why me?” question. His wrong answers are 1) "This makes no sense—I guess this proves there is no God."
2) “If there is a God, senseless suffering proves that God is not completely in control of everything. He couldn’t stop this.” 3) "God saves some people and lets others die because he favors and rewards good people." And 4) "God knows what he’s doing, so be quiet and trust him." You can read the entire entry on his blog at:  http://redeemercitytocity.com/blog/view.jsp?Blog_param=446

I think Keller is absolutely right on all 4 of his points, but Keller admits that this is only half the answer to the question. It is one thing to point out what suffering cannot mean, and altogether another to affirm what it does mean and why we suffer. In 30+ years as a pastor I’ve read many books about suffering and have had the sacred privilege and burden of walking with many people through incredible affliction and tragedy. I’ve learned at least these 4 things:
1)      I don’t have all the answers. I am humbled and silenced in the presence of the one who is suffering. Theological answers like, “It’s a fallen world,” don’t seem to help much when you are the one grieving a tragic loss or facing cancer. I’ve learned that often the best response of a true pastor is to simply show-up and “weep with those who weep” without pretending to understand what that person is going through or that I know the reason why.
2)      A better prayer than, “Why me God?” is “God help me to live well with unanswered question.” I’m not sure knowing why would really help. Every “Why me?” must be balanced with a prayer of thanks for unmerited blessings. The grief of losing a loved one stems from the blessing said loved one was to us and others, therefore while it is legitimate and natural to grieve and ask why, it is equally legitimate to give thanks for the blessing and love we will miss.
3)      Authentic faith makes a difference. Are all questions answered? No. Is the tragedy “fixed”? No. Is suffering easy for the Christian? No. But I’ve witnessed numerous people come through the most tragic experiences with hope and courage relying on their faith in Christ.
4)      Suffering, for the Christian, is never meaningless. Suffering for the unbeliever is always random pain with no purpose and no hope. Authentic faith in the Christ who suffered for the most sublime purpose works through our suffering… whether we see it or not.

Read Keller’s blog post (it’s short) and my response and share some of your own thoughts about suffering.

1 comment:

GaryR said...

This was very insightful, Steve, especially concerning calling on someone that is suffering and not knowing what to say. Your "just show up" advice is right on and now I won't be so afraid to call for fear of not saying the right thing. By showing up you show your brother or sister that you care.