Sunday, November 25, 2012

PS23 - Shepherd


I began the new sermon series on Psalm 23 today. The assignment was to memorize Psalm 23 this week and recite it daily. Turn it into your own prayer. I love the Bonhoeffer quote: “The richness of the Word of God ought to determine our prayer, not the poverty of our heart.”
This beautiful little psalm teaches us so much about the intimacy God desires with us and how to pray. I'll be using the English Standard Version in the messages; I like the way it keeps the poetic rhythm of the KJV without using words like "maketh" and "leadeth". So here's the ESV translation...
Psalm 23 (English Standard Version)
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


Remember, Christ is your Shepherd if... 
You are content in his care
You listen to his voice
You follow him
My prayer is that the psalm becomes more and more meaningful to us over the next 5 weeks.

No comments: