Monday, May 14, 2012

Sharing Mom

Mary Lou Clem - Our Spiritual Mother
 “Why don’t you introduce your mom and have her give all the moms and women of the church a blessing?”
“I don’t think half the church knows my mom and dad are members.”
“She’s led the women’s ministry for years and she’s a spiritual mother to every woman in the church.”
So a discussion with a couple of moms in the church about how to make Mother’s Day a bit more special for the women of the church led to me asking my mother to prepare and deliver a blessing to all the women of PCC.

My mom, Mary Lou, “The Sheriff” as my dad likes to call her, is a true leader. For years she was the administrator of one of the largest nursing homes in central Texas. Retirement was simply an opportunity to take on a major leadership role in the church. A gifted leader and administrator, she leads leaders. The Women’s Ministry leadership team is made up of highly dedicated and motivated women who lead their own teams focused on women’s spiritual education, mentoring, service, fellowship, and outreach.  They all look to my mom for encouragement, inspiration, and direction. They respect her leadership and administrative skills. They love her, because they know she loves them, and every woman connected to PCC. In a growing church with over 500 members my mom insists on meeting and welcoming every new female member personally at a coffee she hosts in her home.

Her love is not limited to PCC members. My mom has a passion for reaching women in the entire Pflugerville community. One of her favorite projects is the annual Back-to-School Luncheon and Fashion Show put on by the PCC Women’s Ministry every September. The purpose of the luncheon is to shower our local area teachers with love and attention… and it does. Mom makes sure invitations to the luncheon are delivered to every school in PISD. Every teacher leaves the luncheons feeling blessed and appreciated.

The message last Sunday was on the baptism of Jesus and focused on the voice of the Father saying, "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." After the final worship song, when the congregation expected me to deliver the blessing, my mom came and stood by me in the pulpit. I introduced her as my mom, Women’s Ministry Leader, and spiritual mother to all the women of PCC. I think every woman there looked to her with eager expectation when I said, “My mom, your spiritual mother, is going to give us the blessing today.” Here’s the blessing she delivered…

“To all the mothers, grandmothers, big sisters, aunts, women who are encouragers, mentors, teachers, any woman who has influence over the next generation, we give you recognition today and ask a special blessing for you.
May God bless you with faith that will sustain you in every situation and overcome every obstacle in your path.
May He clothe you with strength and dignity.
May you speak wisdom and may the teaching of kindness be upon your tongue.
May you have a sense of humor; laughter to lighten your load.
May your children rise up and call you blessed.
May you be filled with the peace of God that passes all understanding.
And when you see Jesus face to face, may you hear these words:
       "You are my daughter, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

I wish every child could have a mom like I did as child. I wish every adult could have mom like I have now. For those at PCC, in a way, you do, for my mom is your spiritual mother. And it is a joy to share her love with all of you.

No comments: