Friday, February 17, 2012

Lost

(Written at Laity Lodge Feb 7 during the 2012 Pastors’ Retreat)

Circle Bluff Trail was clearly marked. The crushed stone path that wound through the hillside overlooking the green Frio River was easy enough to follow. The shiny red oval markers made of tin the size of a silver dollar with the hiker symbol were posted on trees at various points just in case one had trouble following the path. “This will be a piece of cake,” I thought as I started my solo journey to Circle Bluff. “I don’t need a guide; I am more than capable of finding my own way.”

Wearing my “driving glasses” so I could see far into the distance I stopped to enjoy the view of the river winding through the valley. A husband and wife in a canoe passed almost directly under the cliff where I stood. She playfully splashed him as they paddled. He wasn’t amused. As I walked I peered through the trees hoping to catch a glimpse of a porcupine or feral hog or fox or bobcat. Nothing. I lost sight of the river as the path continued to climb the hillside. I was surprised to find a downed cedar tree across the trail. It was no trouble hopping over it, but it seemed odd that such a well-kept and oft-used trail would have such an obstacle. Ten minutes later I realized I had veered off the trail and found myself picking my way through very rough, rocky terrain. I was certain I’d pick up the trail again if I forged ahead, so that’s what I did. But it seemed to be taking longer than I anticipated it would to relocate the familiar crushed stone path that had been so easy to follow at the beginning of my journey. I started second guessing myself. “Should I climb up to a higher point or descend the steep hill to intersect the trail?” I wasn’t sure, so I opted for a middle path slightly climbing.

Still no trail. I was lost. Oh, I knew I’d eventually find my way back to the comfort and security of the well-marked and easy to trod trail, but I felt foolish. Perhaps I should have gone with the group and the guide. I didn’t mean to get off the trail. It wasn’t my fault. It just happened. I was simply enjoying the views of the river and looking for wild life and before I knew it I was lost. I was off the path. As it turns out, I really do need a guide.

“He guides me in the paths of righteousness, for his name’s sake.” (Ps. 23:3)

1 comment:

Lois Pulliam said...

What a great life's lesson for all - how easy it is for us to get lost and wander from our walk with the Lord. When things of the world creep in almost unnoticed and so seemingly innocently lead us away from the right path.