Thursday, May 10, 2012

“Fly Away" or "Cast Your Cares”? (Psalm 55)

As with so many of the psalms of David, this one begins with a cry of desperation to God. “Listen to my prayer, O God… my thoughts trouble me and I am distraught… my heart is in anguish within me, horror has overwhelmed me!” He goes on to complain of an enemy that “drops trouble on me.” (v.5)
Obviously David is in a bad place. We think perhaps King Saul had sent another army to bring him in or assassins to kill him. Whatever or whoever was oppressing him, David’s initial response is one we can all relate to: “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest…” (v.6)

The surprise turn is in verse 13 when the enemy that threatens his life is “my companion, my familiar friend”. It was someone he went to church with that had betrayed him (v.14). It was someone with whom he shared some sort of covenant (v.20). David opines, “His speech was smooth as butter, yet war was in his heart; his words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords.” There is no wound as deep as the wound inflicted by a trusted friend. There is no offense that feels more impossible to forgive than the offense of a covenant companion.

So David feels the need to escape, but where can he run, or fly away, to escape the wound he carries in his heart? In the end he realizes that it is better to “Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you.” (v.22) And so it is with us; it is better to cast our cares on the Lord than to dream about flying away from our troubles and wounds. Peter echoes the psalm when he admonishes believers, “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)

Does that mean the offender/betrayer gets off? David insists, “But you, O God, will cast them down into the pit of destruction…” (v.23) No one ever “gets off”. No one ever escapes the righteous judgment of God. Thanks be to God, in Christ there is redemption for even the worst kind of offender. As Christ followers, we are learning to cast our cares on Christ and look to him to heal our worst wounds. The healing of wounded heart is completed when forgiveness is freely given to the offender. So we must learn to pray for the redemption of our enemy rather than his destruction.

No comments: