Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More on Prayer... "Our Father"

One of my favorite group “prayer moments” is praying The Lord’s Prayer at end of our men’s group meetings. We huddle up, hold hands (Hey! They do it in the NFL!), and pray The Lord’s Prayer together. This follows the one-on-one prayer time with the focus on “How can I pray for your soul?” I like that balance of praying for the individual personal needs we bring with praying the prayer given to all of us, that applies to all of us.

There’s just something about 10 or 20 men praying that prayer together that encourages me. For a long time I prayed it loud so others could hear and follow till they learned it. Now I verbalize the words at a much lower volume so I can hear us praying in unison. I have so much more confidence in praying the words Jesus gave us than I do praying spontaneously. I never feel like I’m talking to myself when I’m saying The Lord’s Prayer.

Sometimes I just don’t know what to pray. Sometimes I don’t want to search for the right words. God knows so infinitely more than I do about the world, my life, my family, what’s right, what’s most important, and His will. Praying the exact prayer given to the disciples 2000 years ago just seems better than “winging it” with my own spontaneous prayer. Of course, I still pray spontaneously every day, all the time. After all, Jesus did say, “Ask and you will receive.” I simply want to make it a habit to ask for what is most necessary and good… “Thy will be done…”

Several years ago we stopped saying spontaneous “grace” prayers over our evening meals and began saying the Lord’s Prayer together instead. When we have guests I invite them to participate in saying the prayer. Yes, we’re saying it by rote memory, but the words mean more than any spontaneous sentence I could possibly conjure up. Has the evening meal blessing become a little less meaningful at your house? Try saying the prayer Jesus gave us with the whole family. It may breathe new life and meaning into that moment of thanks before you enjoy God’s provision.

3 comments:

Lois Pulliam said...

A few months ago my prayers felt so dry and empty, I did not have words to pray, so I started praying the Lord's prayer and it became so meaningful to me. I had only recited it previously without much thought, but on that day, when words would not come, I turned to the words Jesus told us to pray. I realized that everything we need to ask of God is voiced in that prayer.
Praise, asking God's will to be done on earth, provide our daily needs, forgiveness of our sins and the needed admonition that we need to forgive those who sin against us, keep us from temptation and evil, and closing with more praise of our Heavenly Father. When I don't have the words, I turn to this prayer.

Lois Pulliam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sirena17 said...

Wow you covered my confusion about prayer. I still don't have a clue about what the right way to pray is but at least I'm not alone. Thanks for your honesty.